Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Boys & Girls Club Shrine House Project, 2000

I had decided I wanted to do a collaboration with the members of the four Boys & Girls Clubs of Kentuckiana. So I wrote to, and recieved funding from, the Kentucky Foundation for Women to support the project. I brought in guest artists each week to work with the youth on learning about women artists and art processes. Each week the kids did a square piece to go into the shrine house based on what they had learned. I later assembled the work in my studio and Artopia hosted a show for us. My story about this project was later published in a November 3, 2000 article, Funding Feminism, Kentucky Foundation for Women Fuels Artists' Projects Confidence and Activism inLocal Community, written by Sara Ferguson for Business First Magazine.

Here is an old copy of the invite and some pics of the pieces:
















No comments:

Post a Comment