Monday, February 17, 2014

Working with Metallic Fiber Acrylic Wash


Like my artist friend, Schvetty Betty, I occasionally like things to be sparkly, shiny. Because I work with mostly natural, earthy materials, I don't make too many sparkly, shiny things. I often feel changing a natural material too much can "cheapen" it's appearance. I have, however, found the need to add some sort of mystic, other-worldly look when creating a certain atmosphere, and a little metallic, fiber acrylic, mixed with water (wash: 20% paint to 80% water) works in an interesting way. For example my pieces from the "Haunt Installation".


Many of the individual pieces, and some of the strips woven into the wall, had a light wash applied. Covert Huh? I'm taking this concept further this time and being obvious with a much thicker wash for some of my upcoming spring work.


I've started with white cotton core, and white cotton cord.


Then I've mixed a fiber acrylic wash, something like 60% acrylic with 40% water. The wash is better than straight acrylic, because it seeps into the fiber to create a permanent dye. If you were to paint a straight acrylic, it would sit on top of the cotton, and make a stiff painted surface. I think this would defeat the purpose of weaving with a natural material. I want the color to soak in and maintain the integrity of the woven surface.



I use Jacquard Lumiere, because they work! I've been using Jacquard products for 18 years and the company knows what they are doing when it comes to fiber art supplies. There is no fading or rubbing off. Just a perfect long-term set color.


No comments:

Post a Comment