Friday, January 22, 2010

Costumes.Vessels.Dolls:Works from 2005-2008 Mary Anderson Center Artist Colony Show


I can't say enough about the Mary Anderson Center Artist Colony and what is has meant to me over the years. Unfortunately, as I write this it is no longer what it was. It was given back to the Friars last year and now you can stay there as a part of a retreat. Such a shame. When I first went up to MAC I was maybe 20? I worked as a printmaking assistant to Matt Meers for Salmugundi Sunday. A time when families could come out to the Mount to explore art. Years later I ended up staying there myself as an artist on many occasion. How stupid our local community has been not to recognize how significant it was to have an artist colony so close. Most are located on the east or west coast with many 'rules' about how much you have to produce while your there. The Mary Anderson Center Artist Colony was truely a space to reconnect, think, dream, design, sort out, etc. It was my honor and pleasure to be one of the last to stay and show there. It was also at my last stay at MAC that I met Todd, the tree climber. Check out his work by clicking on his name.



No comments:

Post a Comment